Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Storybook Favorites - Behind the Stories


Alice's Journey...Through Social Media?
Whoever wrote this spin on Lewis Carol's classic was a genies. The author took a story that has become one of the most popular classics and completely revamped it while maintaining the original story plot. He/she takes our beloved Alice and turns her into a modern, media addicted, self-obsessed teenager. Overall this was my favorite story to look though. Everything was clean and precise, there was no excess or distracting backgrounds. Each part of the story was easy to locate and navigate. The story itself was a seamless blend, it flowed form words to images and from topic to topic without taking away form the story itself. I love how the author incorporated the notes at the bottom of each page explaining how and why he/she chose that particular scene. For my own project I may use a similar layout for my stories, but the writing style itself, while interesting, is not for me. 

Example of incorporated image
"Was it Really a Dream"
Source

I loved Amber McKnight's storybook. Straight from the introduction it hooked me and I had to read every trial to sate my curiosity. I love how she took the most popular goddesses and made them defend themselves against their most famous actions. Although it was slightly difficult to navigate from trial to trial, the individual ascetic of each trial was incredibly reminiscent of true trial records, a fine balance of irritating and fascinating. I can see myself using a similar style on popular fairy-tale characters. I think it could have been better, if McKnight had used more artistic photos rather than pictures of statues, just to bring more life to the story.
The stories that this storybook was based off of were slightly less familiar then the previous two. The premise given in the introduction was great,  what happened to nursery rhyme characters. It provided a good hook to catch the readers attention and explained clearly what the rest of the stories are going to be like and what they are about. However, it was extremely difficult to read the navigation icon, and the entire layout of the pages was to bland that it took away form the story itself. It felt rushed and somewhat incomplete. The use of images was phenomenal, perfect images that helped the stories along and gave them a new dimension. There is not a whole lot that I would take from the overall design if I were to do my own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment