Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Introduction to a History Nerd



Myself  Personal photo taken by my mother
My name is Carol Brockmann. I am a junior, that is hoping for a classics major when I graduate. I love classics. It gives me an opportunity to go back into the past and see just how much history and the beliefs of others have impacted our world today. For me, it is important to remember what came before, because it those beliefs and cultures that shape modern society. Too many people forget just how important understanding history is. It is more than just stories of a time long ago, it is the modern world’s bloodline. The classic major allows me to go back and understand the roots of the western world.

Last semester was my first semester at OU, I had transferred from a smaller college in Kansas. I have to say, OU knows how to bring out the welcome mat. I cannot chose a single class from last semester that was the best, simply because I enjoyed them all. However, there were two classes that had a major impact on me. The first was Death, Dying and Religion taught by Marie Dallam. This was a class that truly challenged me to think outside the norm. Though the class got a little morbid at times, it was fascinating to look at the different ways death was thought about and the variety of different ways across the world of respecting the dead. It was a class that forced me to have an opinion about death and all that surrounds it while also upholding my own beliefs in the face of others disagreements. The other class I loved was Introduction to Latin, taught by John Hansen. This was the first class in many years that challenged me. It forced me to apply myself, by making me go beyond simple compression and recollection. It did not help that I am terrible with languages. On the upside now I a much better speller (I was horrible before).

 A little more about myself. I am one of the few people my age (that I know personally) that can remember 9/11. It was my fifth birthday and I remember watching it live on the television with my brothers just after I had unwrapped presents. I have two brothers, no sisters sadly. My older brother, Chalres,  is currently in the Navy, stationed at Charleston, South Carolina. I spent most of my winter break with him, enjoying his company (I had not seen him in almost two years) and sightseeing the beautiful city.

Charles Brockmann Personal Photo by me
My “younger” brother, Brice, is currently attending West Texas A&M. I say younger because I am only older by a few minutes. We are fraternal twins, born September 11, 1996- which makes us 20 now. I will be glad to get away from him when school starts.

Brice Brockmann Personal Photo by me
My mother’s greatest goals when raising my brothers and me was to make us avid readers and not to make us food snobs. To the former she succeeded. As evidenced by our many books and that whenever we go shopping there is always a bookstore to visit. To the later, she failed spectacularly. Home cooked meals have solidified my expectation of wonderful food. Nothing prefab is particularly appetizing, there must be flavor, and now I am very particular about how any form of meat should be cooked. Both my brothers and me are food snobs, and proud of it. I cannot say I have any favorite genre of music. I love anything from classical to rock, with the exception of most rap and all of county music. Though at the moment I do have a delightful ear worm. Same goes for books, I read far too many to narrow it down enough. There are two authors that have influenced me in how I write, Jack London and Edger Allen Poe.
                       
Edger Allen Poe Daguerreotype
by Edwin H Manchester
Wikimedia Commons

Young Jack London
Wikimedia Commons

I probably grew up reading these authors alongside Grimm’s Fairy Tales. IT is from them that I draw my inspiration for both topics and writing style. In my free time I love to read. Nine times out of ten when people see me around my noise is either suck in a book or I am listing to an audio book. Most recently, I have been stuck on a series introduced to me by my mother called Outlander. Unfortunately, I have not had much time to read them, as they are very long books. 
Cover of the first book in the series
more information here
When I am not reading I love to paint. Not on canvas but on glass jars. My typical project will take over 5 hours to finish, at the very least.

Personal photo
painted mason jar
taken by me

Personal photo
painted Kracken Bottle
taken by me

When I graduate from OU, I hope to go back to school and eventually get my Ph.D. Mostly though, I want to research, studying and learning is my lifetime goal. I want to be able to teach people about the worlds that made the one we have today. Not just history lessons about events, but who those people were, what they believed, how they acted. I want to know just how much a system of belief, like those of the Romans or Nordic, impacted and remain active in today’s culture. My biggest goal is to prove history is still important because of its continuing influence in contemporary beliefs.
I am looking forward to this class for that very reason. So far, it seems like the perfect combination of mythology and fairy-tales, those stores that help make up the past, and modern thought processes.


31 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear you are happy with your transfer to OU, Carol! In some ways learning is a solitary thing that we each do on our own, but it is also exciting to feel like you can connect with people around you, sharing your learning adventure with them. And John Hansen is WONDERFUL! He is a personal hero of mine in the Latin world — a true teacher. I am a huge fan of Latin myself; even though I no longer teach Latin, I still publish a Latin blog and I've started a new Latin alchemy project just for fun. If you want to do some kind of Latin-related project for this class, I would be glad to help you with that. Latin needs our attention to keep on going into a new millennium!

    The painted jar did not come through, so you might want to give that another try: the trick with images is always to choose the "upload" option so that there is an actual copy of the image included in your blog. Maybe you will want to use some of your own art to illustrate a story this semester, or vice versa, using a story to inspire some art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the problem with the images, thank you for letting me know. I am enjoying Latin, but at the same time its very challenging.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Carol,
    It’s nice to meet you! Welcome to OU. I’m glad you’re finding your transfer here enjoyable. I transferred a few years ago from OSU, OKC. There are things I like and dislike about both schools but they have both offered an incredible learning experience for me. Unfortunately I do not share your love for History. In fact, I am quite the opposite. History has been the bane of my existence throughout my scholastic journey. I have a terrible memory when it comes to History lessons. I don’t remember dates or details very well and I never have. I wish I could share your passion for it, because I do find historical information fascinating at times. I just cannot agree. I find it dry and it is very hard to maintain my interests in History lessons. That’s okay though, because the world would be a pretty boring place if we all agreed on everything, right?? Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I love your art work! I’m a big fan of unique pieces of art like that. I really enjoy making things myself. I don’t really paint but I like to do other things, such as crochet, sew, make picture collages, write songs, etc.
    PS
    Most of your "personal" photos are not showing up on my end (I'm viewing from chrome), just so you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the images. I fixed that problem, so if you want to see them you should be able to now. On history, I myself am terrible at dates so I sympathize with you. The main reason I like history so much is because any thing with in the past 75 years makes no sense to me, as you have to rely more on exact dates then general time periods. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  4. Hi Carol! Very nice to meet you. I am also a fan of Edgar Allen Poe. Have you ever been to Baltimore, Maryland? The city seems to be a memorial to him and his works. I had the opportunity to go a couple of years and I went to his graveyard... Wow was it powerful! I also got to watch a Ravens game... but I must admit that I am not a big football fan and I mostly went to see if any other aspects of the team paid homage to Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death, Dying and Religion sounds like a really intriguing class. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Your family is lovely and I hope you'll be able to see your brother again soon! It's very difficult to be away from them when they're stationed far away. Also, your painting skills are amazing! The mason jars look really cool. Five hours is a lot of time, but it definitely looks like it pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Carol! I don't know if you remember me, but we were both in Dr. Dallam's Death, Dying, and Religion class last semester! I'm Joanne, the quiet Asian girl in the back. What a small world! Anyway, I'm really glad you liked that class because I also thought it was absolutely amazing and fun if that's the right word! Also, your painted jars look gorgeous! I wish I had the time and skill to do that! Nice meeting you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol, it is so nice to meet you! Welcome to OU!! I'm glad you like it here. I think it's awesome that you chose OU of all places to transfer to.
    I wish I could read as much books as you, my time just doesn't allow me to read anymore than what I have to read for school, unfortunately. I'm sure I could make time, though my mind wanders elsewhere. Fortunately, I am not a food snob. My parents have definitely succeeded in that aspect somehow lol. I too have two brothers, but sadly I'm the baby. They've taught me a lot throughout my years though, so I am blessed to have them as my siblings!
    It's also fascinating that you paint on glass, seems like a difficult craft, maybe I'll try it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Carol! I agree with what you said about the importance of history. Many people think of it as a subject in school, but really don't grasp the gravity of history itself. Everything in the past made today exactly what it is. That's interesting that you just transferred in to OU, and I am glad to hear that you like it so far. I have sometimes wondered what it would be like to go to another school, but then I realize how much I like OU and am glad I chose it. Your love of reading makes me jealous. I do enjoy reading a ton, but I only read well when I find something that really interesting to me (I need to be less picky). Having such a passion for reading should really help you with studying history! Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Carol! I too remember 9/11 and the days that followed. It was awful as everyone was leaving school early with tears running down their face. It is so cool that you love history so much, it helps us now so much that we need people in the world like you! I look forward to reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol, I agree! It is very important to learn what came before since they are what shaped our life today, we are a product of history. I am glad you have settled in OU well, it’s truly a great environment. Your paintings look nice, that’s an interesting expressive hobby! Goodluck on staying in track with your goals, there’s definitely a lot that research can teach you and others in your field!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the artwork! I too love to paint on anything (usually not a canvas) I have numerous art projects that I take forever to finish.I had someone suggest the outlander series to me too but have not had time to read it. I too have just transferred to OU but just from Oklahoma City Community College. Good luck with getting your Ph.D and can't wait to read more of your wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, Carol. In my Electronic Media Criticism class this semester, one chapter details how news broadcasts take aspects of the "historical world" and construct them with the methods of acting and camera angles to construct a piece of reality. One needs to understand that all recorded history is a series of correlated events given significance, and the circumstances and culture surrounding those events are important to that significance.

    I have enjoyed my fair share of Poe as well! I read some for middle school work, and I even did a monologue performance of an excerpt from The Tell-Tale Heart for my Acting for Non-Majors class last semester, and the class really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Carol! It's nice to meet you! I think it's really awesome that you have enjoyed so many of your courses at OU already! It's so great that you love your major so much and have such a passion for it! I can tell your passion for literature and history through your writing! I really like your writing style and may have to read more of the books you suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carol! Welcome to OU! I’ve never been to Kansas, but I’m glad you’re here at OU now! Boomer! I think it’s awesome that you’re majoring in Letters. There’s so much you can do with it. You also sound very accomplished thus far, and I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors here at OU and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carol,
    I hope you’re settling in at OU well! What brought you here? We don’t have many things in common, but it is really interesting to see how different everyone actually is. I love your jars; that is such a creative idea. Many students are iffy on what they want to do in the future, but you seem so dedicated and driven. Good luck on your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Carol! I love history too! One of my favorite classes here at OU was East Asian History Since 1600, and it was so interesting! I would have taken another one of Elyssa Faison's classes, but they never ended up fitting in my schedule again. I do have a sister, but I'm not sure it is all it is cracked up to be. I love your mason jars though, they're super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Carol! I loved reading your introduction and so glad that you're enjoying OU! That is so cool that you have a twin because I have a brother who is 14 months younger than me, but we look exactly alike and tell everyone we're twins... It's much cooler that you actually are one though! I love that you are so passionate about history and classics because that is certainly something we should not lose sight of today. Both of those classes you took sound fascinating and I wish I had time to fit them into my schedule, but alas, I am graduating in May. I love your mason jar paintings- how did you get started doing that? Very impressive! Best of luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carol, it is nice to meet you! I too once transferred from Baylor University. I really liked OU and am glad with my choice also. I am an avid reader also. I love reading any new books but I always run out of time from my priorities. Your painting are awesome. I am a terrible artist so I love seeing when people are that talented. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Carol!
    You are such an awesome person – so happy to get to know you!
    You seem to really enjoy school and I am happy to hear want to continue on this journey and receive a Ph.D. Research is such an awesome field to be in.
    I am very happy that you are enjoying this class. It seems to fit in very well with your love of history!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Carol,
    I enjoyed reading your introduction and getting to know you better. I have never loved history, it was probably one of my least favorite subjects in high school, but you speak so passionately about it, you make me want to love it, too! Now I am somewhat looking forward to my next history class, because I will try to see if through your eyes, the way you describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Carol! I really liked reading your introduction and getting to know you. I'm really glad that you are enjoying your time at OU. I transferred to OU as well my sophomore year. I transferred from Florida so it was really different but I absolutely loved it. I find your love for history very inspiring! I also think it is really cool that you love reading and art so much.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Carol! I don't think I've ever met a Classics major, though in my defense, there aren't that many of them. I'm so glad you found OU to be so welcoming! I know I felt right at home as a freshman, so I'm glad even transfer students feel the same. I was also on the fence about taking that Death, Dying, and Religion class. I wish I would have! Also, there's nothing wrong with being a food snob. I just took a food and culture class, and it made me realize how much more intention I should put into my food and meals.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Carol! Yeah I have to agree, the way history affects our culture today is really interesting, especially in a place with as many varied cultures as the US. Also, the way you talk about Latin class makes me interested in the language. I wonder how different it is compared to learning an East Asian language.. Anyways, your paintings look lovely! Seems like a very relaxing hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Carol! Wow, week 11 and I finally have made my way to your blog profile, which I must say has a very unique design. The dark blue and wooded imagery certainly has the feel of an Edgar Allen Poe poem, someone I noticed you are a fan of here in your post. Do you intend to transition his form of dark and thrilling writing to your own stories this semester?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Carol, it's nice to meet you. I think your blog layout is awesome! I'm really liking the colors and imagery, which is almost eerie. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a food snob! I just think you like to eat really flavorful food, which can be such as awesome experience. I'm a pretty big foodie myself. Growing up in an Indian family, you get accustomed to really flavorful Indian food. Good luck with all your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Carol, it's nice to finally meet you in week 12! I think it is so cool that you would like to become a Classics major, so far I haven't met anyone with that major, but I agree with you in thinking it would be very interesting. I transferred here as a Sophomore from a smaller school as well, I'm really glad you're enjoying your time at OU and I wish you the best in your future and eventually getting your Ph.D!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Carol,
    I think it is cool that you are a classics major and have such passion for history. It is so important that there are people out there like you! I wish I had known about that Death, Dying, and Religion class earlier! I would have tried it out; it sounds so interesting! I can’t imagine not seeing my brother for almost two years! I am glad you got to visit with him! I look forward to reading your writing!

    ReplyDelete