Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

Two of my classes this semester have been pushing me further then ever in how I think about writing, not just creative writing but just writing in general. This class and Latin. With this class, I do not have the time to take my writings to several different people and have them go over and edit it. I have had to rely on myself. Latin has taught me so much about English surprisingly enough. Because of Latin, I now know what passive voice is, and how much I enjoy abusing it.

There are definitely things I still need to push myself on. I shy away from dialogue. I my mind I relate that so something akin to the plague. I need to force myself to sit down in class and comprehend texts, for more then just writing a story, rather than  relying on my classmates or teachers to explain it for me. I also need to push myself to go out and talk to others instead of hiding away in my room and doing homework all day.

This class has defiantly enabled me to feel more comfortable approaching difficult or taboo topics in a friendly way, like cannibalism or sexism. It has also allowed me to gain confidence in my creative side, something that I have always been wary of before. It is also a wonderful class for self-motivation, with out increasing that I may have given up on this class early on.

Hopefully later this semester, I can give myself enough confidence to tackle dialogue! At the same time I hope I can push myself further in other classes, especially those that I am bored in.

WeKnowMemes

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    It seems we agree on the class – it’s such a nice outlet to discuss what would usually be such taboo topics. How amazing that we get to freely and openly write about whatever we feel with no judgement from our peers.
    I have faith that you are doing well in your pursuit of dialogue. You are a very driven person and I am happy to be in the same class!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, this class has been a fabulous outlet for our creative endeavors and has allowed us to explore our writing in a safe and supportive environment. It has taught me a lot about time management and organization. It is so easy to let this class fall through the cracks, so it is important to make a schedule and stick to it, otherwise, it will be very hard to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carol, I agree with you! This class has made me get out of my comfort zone too. English is my third language and I enjoy writing and reading everyday about topics that I have never been exposed too. Also, good luck on pushing yourself to get out of your comfort zone and actually go out and talk to others sports has always been a great reason for me to achieve that!

    ReplyDelete