Saturday, February 4, 2017

Feedback Focus: Know Thine self

Straight off, the second strategy, copy and delete, worked the best for me. It felt felt more natural and was easier for me to do compared to the others. The first strategy, while good in theory, actually distracted me more then anything. I ended up focusing more on my cadence and flow then on what I was reading. I do a similar strategy for when I am reading dialogue or a particularly confusing area but not for the entire story. The third strategy was was horrible for me. It felt forced. I read the story, read the author's note, and read the story again. Usually by then I would be taking notes of what I had noticed, liked or disliked, but, perhaps it was me misreading the assignment, I felt like this strategy did not let me do that. I ended up reading the same sentence over and over, and story began to blur and lost all its meaning to me, what I had in mind for commenting slipped away. It was entirely counterproductive.

The second strategy was very similar to what I already do when reading stories. I take notes on paper as I read. I jot down things that jump out to me, questions that occur, or general commentary that comes to mind. The difference is I take notes as I read, with the second strategy I had to wait until the end of the paragraph, not that big of a change. However, deleting the previous paragraph was distracting and goes against my previous patterns, as sometime I would reread previous paragraphs if the current one con, and the action itself drew me out of my focus.
I think I will continue to use my current strategy of writing down thoughts as I read and reading aloud as I need to. Out of the stories I read, I really enjoyed What Makes the Lightning.

Calvin an Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Go Comics

No comments:

Post a Comment